Taking Ocean Hammock Motorcycle Accidents Seriously
Many people flock to Ocean Hammock, FL because of its proximity to the water and the beautiful homes that are there. Yet accidents can happen even in such idyllic places. Motorcycle accidents in particular can be catastrophic and even deadly.
The lawyers at our firm would like to consider some of the dangers associated with riding motorcycles, and note some potential causes of collisions.
National Statistics on Motorcycle Accidents
According to numbers from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 4,586 motorcyclists were killed in 2014. Given their vulnerability on the road, it’s estimated that motorcyclists are 27 times more likely to be killed in a collision than people in other vehicles.
Statistics on Florida Motorcycle Crashes
Florida can be a dangerous place to be a motorcyclist. According to numbers from the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA), there were 450 motorcycle fatalities in Florida in 2014. That means 10 percent of the nation’s fatal motorcycle crashes were in the state of Florida alone.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Some of the most common driver-related causes of motorcycle accidents are as follows:
- Speeding - Speeding increases the risk of auto accidents in general. If you are on a motorcycle, be sure to follow the posted speed limits.
- Drunk Driving - Driving under the influence of alcohol impacts coordination, decision-making skills, and your overall ability to drive. Never get on your motorcycle while drunk. The NHTSA notes that 43 percent of motorcyclists killed in single-vehicle accidents were under the influence of alcohol.
- Being Lost in a Driver’s Blind Spot - Motorcyclists can get lost in a driver’s blind spot, making collisions more likely. Make sure you are seen while you are on the road, and avoid staying in a driver’s blind spot for too long if you can help it.
- Distracted Drivers - If a driver is texting, talking on their phone, or otherwise distracted, they increase their risk of colliding with other vehicles, including motorcycles.
- Motorcyclist Inexperience - It can take time to really feel comfortable on a motorcycle. New motorcyclists should take things slow and be extra cautious to avoid collisions and injuries.
Poor Road and Weather Conditions
If road conditions or weather conditions are poor, the risk of an accident increases. This might include rain, heavy winds, and fog, which impact traction, stability, and visibility, respectively. As far as road conditions go, there may be issues with debris on the road, potholes, or traffic signals that are not working.
Motorcycle Defects and Malfunctions
Sometimes the cause of a motorcycle accident has nothing to do with drivers or outside conditions. The motorcycle itself may have some sort of design or manufacturing defect that makes it dangerous to operate. In such cases, the motorcycle company needs to be held accountable for their actions.
How Our Attorneys Can Help You
While Ocean Hammock may be generally safer than other places in the state of Florida, accident can happen. When they do, it’s important to have skilled attorneys on your side who will fight for you every step of the way. The peace of mind we can offer following an accident can help your family heal or mourn and then move forward.
Learn More About Motorcycle Accident Lawsuits
For more information about your legal rights and options following a motorcycle collision, be sure to contact the lawyers of Chanfrau & Chanfrau. We will help you and your loved ones during your time of legal need.