Seek Compensation for Dive Boat Accidents
What may start as a fun day on the water can quickly take a turn when a boating accident occurs. A boating accident attorney can help victims seek compensation for their injuries and hold those responsible for accidents liable for their negligence.
In Florida, dive boats and diving tours are popular activities. Unfortunately, negligent dive boat operators or companies can put passengers at risk. If you or a loved one has been injured in a dive boat accident in Daytona Beach, FL and Palm Coast, FL, the attorneys of Chanfrau & Chanfrau can help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Causes of Dive Boat Accidents
Whether diving is recreational or occupational, poor judgment, poorly maintained equipment, and other negligent behaviors can quickly lead to dangerous conditions for divers. Dive boat accidents can leave passengers with permanent injuries while others may suffer an untimely death.
There are several possible causes of dive boat accidents, many of which are preventable. Some common causes include:
- Dangerous water conditions
- Poorly maintained diving equipment
- Poorly maintained boat
- Inadequate diver training
- Running out of air
- Boat departure without all divers on board
Types of Injuries in Dive Boat Accidents
Divers and passengers of dive boats can suffer from many different types of injuries. Injuries may stem from the dive itself or from equipment used for diving, including the boat.
One of the biggest dangers facing divers is decompression sickness, also called the bends. Decompression sickness can occur when a diver comes back to the surface of the water too quickly. This causes nitrogen bubbles to form in the blood, which can lead to serious brain injuries or even death.
Other possible injuries include:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Ear barotrauma
- Propeller cuts
Who May Be Held Liable for a Dive Boat Accident?
Depending on the cause of a dive boat accident, there are several possible parties that may be held liable for the accident and related injuries.
- Commercial dive boat companies: Commercial companies that run dive boats for recreation are expected to do their due diligence in keeping passengers safe. This means boats and dive equipment should be properly maintained and they should make sure that divers meet certain requirements, such as diver certifications, or receive necessary training or supervision from hired instructors to dive safely.
- The captain of a private boat: The captain of a private boat may be liable for an accident if he or she was negligent while operating the boat. For example, if the captain was under the influence of alcohol while operating the boat and left divers behind, causing the divers to experience hypothermia.
- Boat or equipment manufacturer: Sometimes dive boat accidents are caused by product defects in the boat or equipment used for diving. When a defective product causes injuries, the product manufacturer may be held liable for resulting injuries.
Seek Compensation with Chanfrau & Chanfrau
If you live in or around Daytona Beach and have been injured in a dive boat accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. To learn more about which legal remedies are available to you, call (866) 610-0653 to schedule a consultation with the boat accident attorneys of Chanfrau & Chanfrau.