Defective Car Seats: Should I Seek Damages for Injuries?
Car seats play an important role in keeping children safe on the road, but when a car seat is defective, it can have catastrophic effects. A product liability attorney can help families get compensation for their pain and suffering while also holding manufacturers liable for distributing defective car seats.
At Chanfrau & Chanfrau, our attorneys represent families who have suffered as a result of defective car seats in Daytona Beach, FL, and neighboring Palm Coast. If you believe your child's injuries were caused by a defective car seat, you are encouraged to schedule a consultation.
Car Seats Should Protect Children
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), car crashes are the leading cause of death in children ranging from the age of 1 to 13. Although not all of these deaths are caused by problems with car seats, car seats are essential for the safety of children.
Accordingly, when parents purchase a car seat, they expect it to keep their child safe. For most families, car seats do just that. Unfortunately, defective car seats can put children at increased risk every time they are driven in a car.
Common Car Seat Defects
When car seats function properly, they can keep children safe, even in dangerous car accidents. On the other hand, when car seats are defective, they can leave children with serious injuries even from a minor car accident. There are several ways in which a car seat may be defective. Some common car seat defects include:
- Weak, defective plastic shell: Improperly constructed plastic shells can cause a car seat to crack in a car accident and prevent it from providing the support needed to keep a child safe.
- Poorly made latches or buckles: Poorly made latches or buckles may come open with minor force. Failure to stay closed may lead to a child being ejected from their car seat during an accident.
- Latches or buckles that are too difficult to open: Latches or buckles that are difficult to open may cause a child to become trapped in their car seat during an emergency, potentially resulting in serious injuries.
- Strap-adjusters don't work properly: Strap-adjusters that don't work properly can make car seat straps too loose or too tight.
- Car seats made of flammable materials: Car seats made of low-quality material may flammable and prone to catching fire during a car accident.
When a defective car seat causes injuries, victims should seek compensation for their injuries and suffering. Determining who is responsible for a product defect can be complicated. Having our Daytona Beach attorneys on your side can help.
Parents or legal guardians of children injured by defective car seats may file a lawsuit against the manufacturer, supplier, distributor, retailer, or all of these parties depending on which parties were aware of the defects or were negligent in their handling of the car seat.
Schedule a Consultation
If you suspect the defects in your child's car seat caused injury, the product liability attorneys of Chanfrau & Chanfrau want to help. To schedule a consultation, please call (386) 258-7313 at your earliest convenience.