Car Accidents at Intersections
Did you know that approximately 2.5 million auto accidents take place at intersections every year, according to the Federal Highway Administration? Sadly, these accidents are common and often result in serious injuries and property damage.
If you have been in a car accident at an intersection, you may want to file a claim. The personal injury attorneys at Chanfrau & Chanfrau can help car accident victims secure the compensation they deserve following an accident. Contact our practice in Palm Coast or Daytona Beach, FL to schedule a time to have one of our attorneys review your case.
Accidents at Intersection in Florida
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Information, a total of 1,134 fatalities occurred at an intersection or within an approach to an intersection in Florida in 2017. Sadly, the number of fatalities at intersections has increased during the last five years:
- 2013: 764
- 2014: 803
- 2015: 1,009
- 2016: 1,043
- 2017: 1,134
In Volusia County, 45 people died in intersection crashes in 2017, up from 25 in 2013.
In Flagler County, 12 people died in intersection crashes in 2017, up from 5 in 2013.
Types of Collisions at Intersections
There is always a degree of chance involved in driving. You may be going the speed limit and alert to all your surroundings, and still end up in an accident. The following types of accidents commonly occur at intersections:
- Rear end crashes: Rear end crashes occur when a driver does not stop in time after the driver in front has stopped.
- Left-hand turn collisions: If a driver turning left does not see or misjudges the speed of an oncoming vehicle, it can increase the risk of an accident.
- T-bone collisions: A driver running a light may crash into the side of a driver legally passing through the intersection.
Causes of Collisions at Intersections
There are many potential causes for these collisions. Generally, auto accidents at intersections are the result of negligence on the part of a driver. This may involve:
- Running a red light: Sometimes drivers speed up when a traffic light turns yellow in an attempt to beat the light. Doing so can result in a collision.
- Failing to yield: Drivers sometimes mistakenly assume they have the right-of-way when they do not, leading to crashes.
- Aggressive driving: Speeding, ignoring traffic signals, and dangerous passing are just a few aggressive maneuvers that lead to intersection collisions.
- Distracted Driving: The leading cause of all auto accidents, distracted driving can come in the form of texting, speaking on the phone, and playing with the radio.
Injuries Resulting from Intersection Car Accidents
Unfortunately, auto accidents at intersections often lead to serious and lasting injuries, including:
- Bone fractures
- Fractured ribs
- Spinal cord injury
- Traumatic brain injury
- Internal organ injury
How a Car Accident Attorney Can Help
Car accidents at intersections cause physical distress, and they take a toll on the victim financially. We must show that the other driver was responsible for your injury in order to obtain the compensation you are due to cover your medical costs, lost wages, and other expenses.
Our experienced attorneys analyze all available evidence, including police reports, photos of the accident, and witness statements to prove the other driver was at fault.
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer
If you were injured in an auto accident at an intersection, contact a personal injury attorney right away. The car accident lawyers at Chanfrau & Chanfrau can review your case. Contact us online or call (386) 258-7313 to schedule a case evaluation.