At the law firm of Chanfrau & Chanfrau, our experienced personal injury attorneys handle the full range of accidents that occur on our nation’s roadways, including bicycle accident cases. Bicyclists are particularly vulnerable to serious injury when they are involved in accidents. Even bicyclists who wear all of the recommended safety gear are not afforded any external protection by their vehicles of choice. When they are involved in a collision with a car, truck, van, or other motor vehicle, they are at serious risk of catastrophic injury or even death.
When bicyclists are injured in accidents caused by the negligence of others with whom they are sharing the road, they may be able to recover compensation for the losses and expenses related to their injuries by filing a personal injury lawsuit against the liable party. Our personal injury attorneys expertly handle bicycle accident litigation, using all of the resources at their disposal to present the strongest cases possible.
We invite you to read the following bicycle accident statistics collected by our Daytona Beach, FL personal injury attorneys. If you or someone you love has been injured in a bicycle accident, or if you have lost a member of your family in a bicycle accident, please contact Chanfrau & Chanfrau today to arrange for an evaluation of your case.
Bike Accident Stats
For the most part, bicycling is a safe, healthy activity. However, bicyclists do assume a certain risk when they take to the road. This is particular true in the state of Florida. According to Governing Magazine, Florida recorded the highest per capita rate of bicyclist deaths per million residents on average between 2010 and 2012 (5.7) than any other state in the union. The second highest belonged to Louisiana (3.8).
According to the most recent data published by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in 2013:
- 743 bicyclists were killed in bicycle accidents, up from 682 in 2011, an increase of 8.9 percent.
- Approximately 48,000 bicyclists were injured in bicycle accidents, down from approximately 49,000 in 2012.
- The total cost of injuries and deaths to bicyclists is more than $4 billion per year.
- The average age of bicyclists killed in collisions with motor vehicles was 44.
- Eighty-three percent of bicyclists killed in bicycle accidents were male.
- California (141) and Florida (133) were the only states in which more than 100 bicyclists were killed.
- In 29 percent of accidents in which the bicyclist was killed in a collision with a motor vehicle, either the bicyclist or the operator of the motor vehicle was legally intoxicated.
- There were no bicyclists killed in Nebraska, South Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia, or Wyoming.
- Twenty-nine percent of injuries to bicyclists occur in collisions with cars.
- Thirteen percent of injuries to bicyclists occur due to the roadway or walkway being in poor condition.
Arrange for an Evaluation of Your Bicycle Accident Case
To arrange for an evaluation of your bicycle accident case, we urge you to contact the personal injury attorneys of Chanfrau & Chanfrau today.