The lawyers of Chanfrau & Chanfrau have helped clients throughout Central Florida following major injuries and accidents. Their legal counsel has proven especially important in auto accidents that result in serious, life-changing injuries or fatalities. These kinds of collisions can affect people of all ages, but they are especially deadly when the elderly are involved.
Let's consider these matters in more detail right now.
Seniors Behind the Wheel May Experience More Severe Injuries
When a senior citizen is behind the wheel of a car or a passenger in a vehicle, the injuries that this older individual sustains are often quite serious. At the very least, the injuries tend to be more serious than the kinds of injuries that a younger person would experience given similar circumstances. This means that the elderly are more likely to suffer severe or even fatal injuries in an auto accident than others.
Reasons for Increased Risk of Injury for Seniors
The reason for the increased severity of injuries has everything to do with the aging process.
People who are older are more susceptible to injury given the frailty of their bodies, the brittleness of bones, the stiffness of their joints, and the effects of natural wear and tear over the years. Long-term illnesses or debilitating illnesses can similarly make an elderly person more vulnerable to injuries.
Seniors Are Still Some of the Safest Drivers on the Road
Even though the elderly are more susceptible to injury and likely to suffer significant harm when they are involved in an auto accident, studies still find that elderly drivers are among the safest people on the road.
There are several reasons for this:
- Elderly drivers are less likely to speed
- Elderly drivers are more likely to abide by all rules of the road
- Elderly drivers are unlikely to drink and drive or engage in other reckless behaviors
- Elderly drivers are aware of physical limitations and drive conservatively to account for issues with vision and mobility
- Elderly drivers are less likely to travel during inclement weather
How Elderly Motorists Can Stay Safe Behind the Wheel
If you are an older motorist, there are several things that you can do to remain as safe and protected as possible while on the road:
- Continue to abide by all traffic laws and speed limits
- Have your vehicle regularly maintenanced
- Travel during daytime and in good weather
- Attend regular doctor visits to monitor general wellness
- Make sure glasses prescriptions and and hearing aids are current
Our Lawyers Can Help You in Your Time of Legal Need
When you or someone that you love is injured in a serious auto accident, it's of the utmost importance that you speak with a skilled attorney to learn about your legal options. During the litigation process, this counsel of a skilled litigator can mean all the difference.
Schedule a Consultation at Chanfrau & Chanfrau
For more information about your legal options after a major auto accident, it's important that you contact the lawyers at our personal injury law firm today. The lawyers of Chanfrau & Chanfrau will fight diligently for you and your legal entitlements.