Motorcycle Accidents and Lanesplitting: Who Is to Blame? By Chanfrau & Chanfrau on August 19, 2014

A crashed motorcycleAs a motorcyclist trapped in traffic, lanesplitting is a tempting alternative. Slipping between lanes of traffic and gliding to the front certainly beats sitting on hot pavement inhaling exhaust fumes any day.

But in Florida, lanesplitting is illegal. When a Florida motorcyclist drives between two lanes of stopped or slower moving vehicles they run the risk of a getting a ticket.

Of greater concern is the risk of a motorcycle accident. What happens if you are in an accident while lanesplitting? If an accident occurs while illegally lanesplitting, does that mean lanesplitting caused the accident? What if the actions of a negligent car driver caused the accident?

If you have been in an accident while lanesplitting, who is to blame is not clear-cut. An experienced motorcycle attorney can see beyond the lanesplitting to determine what other factors contributed to the accident. The attorneys at Chanfrau & Chanfrau in Daytona Beach understand the complexities involved in motorcycle accidents and lanesplitting. They understand that lanesplitting is often not the only factor in an accident and are willing to thoroughly investigate the case to ensure a fair and equitable resolution.  

Accidents While Lanesplitting

When an accident happens, one person is rarely to blame. In reality, careless actions by two or more people usually contribute to an accident.

In a case of lanesplitting, a traffic violation, the odds are that the motorcyclist will probably be assigned blame. However, there are “degrees of fault” in any accident, a fact that Florida law recognizes with the doctrine of comparative negligence.

With comparative negligence, more than one person can be found at fault. How much blame is assigned to each driver will determine how much compensation each can receive. For example, one driver may be 90 percent at fault, while the other is 10 percent at fault.

For a motorcyclist, comparative negligence may allow them to receive compensation for injuries, even if they were illegally lanesplitting.

In such a case, the motorcyclist will need to prove the driver of the other vehicle contributed to the accident. Perhaps the car driver was using a cell phone, raising the question of distracted driving. Or, the car driver made an abrupt lane change without using a signal.  In some cases, it may be possible to prove that the actions of the car driver were more to blame in causing the accident than the motorcyclist who was lanesplitting.

Next Steps

If you have been involved in an accident while lanesplitting, it is important to understand that the other driver can also be held accountable for his or her negligent actions in an accident. The car driver may in fact be more to blame.

However, these cases are not clear-cut. To ensure you are treated fairly, it is in your best interests to hire an experienced attorney who will investigate the accident thoroughly. The attorneys at Chanfrau & Chanfrau will aggressively pursue your case to ensure just compensation. 

If you are unsure what to do next, we offer free consultations for victims of personal injury and can review your case to determine the best course of action.

Call today for your free consultation.

Related to This

Attorneys at Chanfrau & Chanfrau

Chanfrau & Chanfrau

Chanfrau & Chanfrau has been serving Floridians in Daytona Beach and the surrounding areas since 1976. With three attorneys and two locations, we have the resources to help you after an accident or injury. We are proud of our many achievements, including inclusion in:

  • America's Top 100 Attorneys
  • The National Trial Attorneys Top 100 List
  • Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite

For more information about our legal services, contact our firm online or call (386) 258-7313 today.

Contact Our Practice

Rate, Review & Explore

Social Accounts Sprite
Google map image of our location in 701 N Peninsula Dr  Daytona Beach, FL

Daytona Beach Office

701 N Peninsula Dr
Daytona Beach, FL 32118

Open Today 24 hours

Open 24 hours

Google map image of our location in 145 Airport Rd Ste A Palm Coast, FL

Palm Coast Office

145 Airport Rd
Ste A
Palm Coast, FL 32164

Open Today 24 hours

Open 24 hours

Google map image of our location in 100 E New York Ave Ste # 103-R DeLand, FL

DeLand Office

100 E New York Ave
Ste # 103-R
DeLand, FL 32724

Open Today 24 hours

Tell us a bit about yourself...

(386) 258-7313 Send a message