Of the many motorcycle accident claims handled by our personal injury attorneys in Daytona Beach, poor road conditions rank among the most common causes. While many people think of motorcycle accidents as involving other vehicles, road defects are responsible for a substantial percentage of motorcycle accident injuries. If you or a member of your family has been injured in a motorcycle accident caused by poor road conditions, our motorcycle accident attorneys can:
- Perform a meticulous investigation into and reconstruction of the accident
- Collect statements from witnesses to the accident
- Work closely with relevant experts to build strong support for your case
- Identify the party or parties responsible for the road where the accident took place
- Present the strongest case possible demonstrating the liability of that party or those parties for your injuries
As lifelong proponents of bikers’ rights, our personal injury lawyers are privileged to handle motorcycle accidents of all types, including those resulting from road defects and other poor road conditions.
Typical Road Defects That Can Lead to Motorcycle Accidents
It is important that designers, engineers, and planners associated with the building of roads take every precaution necessary to ensure the safety of motorists. When potentially unsafe road conditions are unavoidable, proper signage must be used to warn motorists of these possible hazards. This is particularly important in the case of motorcyclists, who are by nature afforded less protection from harm in the event of an accident and are therefore extremely more vulnerable to serious injury.
The most common road defects that can lead to motorcycle accidents include:
- Missing or inadequate signs: When there are potential hazards present on a road, there should be highly visible and legible signs posted warning motorists. When such signs are difficult to see in general or in certain conditions (e.g., at night or in poor weather) or are absent altogether, motorcyclists can be put at unnecessary risk.
- Overly narrow lanes: When lanes are too narrow, larger vehicles may be forced to swerve into adjacent lanes, putting motorcycles at risk.
- Potholes and cracks in the road: When road surfaces become damaged, motorcycles are far more likely to flip or skid.
- Construction hazards: Construction hazards are particularly dangerous when there is not adequate signage to warn motorcyclists of their presence.
- Poorly maintained vegetation: When vegetation becomes overgrown, it can obscure curves and other potentially dangerous situations, as well as any signs warning motorcyclists of these dangers.
- Poor lighting: The lack of adequate lighting on roads can keep motorcyclists from seeing upcoming hazards, especially at night or in inclement weather conditions.
- Missing stop signs and signals: All motorists are put at risk when dangerous intersections are missing stop signs and signals that might otherwise prevent accidents.
Whatever the cause of your motorcycle accident, our attorneys will fight for your rights and work tirelessly to hold the party liable for your accident responsible in a court of law.
Contact Chanfrau & Chanfrau
If you or someone you love has been seriously injured in a motorcycle accident caused by a road defect, we urge you to contact the law firm of Chanfrau & Chanfrau today for an evaluation of your case.