Do Roundabouts Cause Car Accidents?
Do roundabouts cause car accidents in DeLand and other areas? An increase in traffic can be expected in Florida beach towns and cities with close proximity to beaches. Beach locations can become especially congested during peak season, when tourists and locals like to flock to the shoreline. But with an increase in visitors, there is also an increase in traffic of all kinds. To help ease the flow of traffic, some locations use roundabouts, but just how safe are these circular junctions?
The Federal Highway Administration maintains that they are a proven safety countermeasure. Therefore, the most accurate answer may be this: Like other types of intersections, roundabouts can be dangerous when negligence on the part of drivers comes into play. But many residents of the Daytona Beach area aren't convinced that roundabouts are a good idea.
Let's take a closer look at what can lead to accidents in a roundabout.
In the meantime, remember that car accident victims in beachside cities like Daytona Beach and Palm Coast, FL, can turn to the law firm of Chanfrau & Chanfrau. We offer free consultations to review personal injury cases.
Unique Characteristics of Roundabouts
There are several reasons why the unique attributes of a roundabout and negligence on the part of motorists of all kinds simply do not mix:
- Some roundabouts have multiple lanes, and when drivers are changing lanes within the roundabout, any degree of negligence can cause a collision.
- GPS devices can sometimes confuse drivers approaching a roundabout. For example, it might tell you to take the second exit, which often translates to continuing to drive in the same direction.
- The points of entry require motorists to yield rather than stop.
How to Handle a Car Accident
If you are in a car accident, including an accident in a roundabout, you should take the following actions:
• Call for help at the scene, being sure to get a report of the accident.
• Take photos at the scene of all property damage, and take down the name and phone number of all witnesses.
• Have a physician assess your physical injuries.
• Call a qualified car accident attorney to review your case.
With offices in the Palm Coast and Daytona Beach, we are located in close proximity to DeLand, Ormond Beach, Port Orange, New Smyrna, Bunnell, and Holly Hill. We can help you with your legal needs. Our personal injury attorneys offer a free initial consultation to talk about your case, and give you an idea of what to expect next.
If you have been in a car accident, call Chanfrau & Chanfrau at (866) 794-0143 or (386) 439-7760 today. You can also message us online. We take the time to sit down with you and talk about your needs, and how we can help you recover. Whether your accident occurs on a busy highway, a residential street, in a simple four-way intersection or in a roundabout, our attorneys will analyze the facts regarding your case and conduct a detailed investigation to determine where fault lies. With your help, you can collect the compensation you need and deserve. We look forward to helping you.